Monday, May 5, 2008

A Bump in the Road

"Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!"

I haven't been following my diet at all, really. The weekends, or any unstructured time, are especially difficult, and I didn't even start off with resolve, which is a recipe for disaster. Or at least a recipe for Cheese Danishes.

I'm usually such a stalwart pilgrim when it comes to any project I take on, from studying to dieting to screenprinting cards. Not so with the Hobbit Diet. I've been so shaky about it. One week I do all the walking. One week I drink all the water and eat the proper meals at the proper mealtimes. I just can't seem to put it all together.

Normally, I would've given up by now. Maybe it's a great sign that I haven't. After all, I can't sustain "all or nothing" forever. The point of The Hobbit Diet is to bring balance, and maybe what I see as wavering is actually the perfect start.

My heels are on and my lunch is packed, but I think I'm going to stay home from work today. I had a difficult weekend, between being sick and emotionally freaking out and hearing that my dad lost his job. There's nothing pressing at work, and I think it will be much more healing for me to stay home.

Maybe I'll keep wobbling for awhile before I gain sure footing. Maybe this is my last great rest, like Bilbo's stop at The Last Homely House. I don't know which.

I'm scared, and tired, and I just want to crawl up at home and have some lovely cakes and forget about adventures. But I'm not going to do that, and I'm the tiniest bit excited to see where this journey takes me.

No comments: