Friday, May 2, 2008

Home Sweet Hobbit Hole

Hobbit Holes are all about comfort, safety, and security. And food. Lots of food.

My intention was to come home and make stir fry. But, just as Bilbo's plans were interrupted by treasure burglary and dragon hunting, my plans were derailed as well. By a jar of icing.

That's right, cake frosting. No food seems so delicious as it does when you're on a diet. I've looked at this same jar of frosting for days without temptation. Suddenly, I had to have it.

It's like when the elves created that enchanted feast in the middle of the forest. This was my enchanted jar of frosting. I knew I should resist. I knew, as soon as I stepped into the enchanted circle, the lights would go off and I would be lost in the forest.

I put up a fight. I switched stir fry to eggs, since I like them more and I thought the protein might be more satiating. I brewed a cup of orange mint tea, hoping that might be sweet enough.

No dice. I finished my eggs and still wanted icing. I gave in to a spoonful of sugar and hydrogenated oil. Then I had a bagel and butter, too. Just for kicks.

But I'm not so sure I'm lost in the forest. A little off track, sure. But I didn't splurge more that night, even though it would've been easy. And I'm back at Starbucks this morning, enjoying a large water and my oatmeal. My lunch is packed. My day is set. At least until I go home.

No comments: